St. David Haigh and Aspull CE School stands in its own grounds, including a hard surface playground and a large playing field to the rear, enjoying panoramic views of the Pennines and Blackpool on a clear day!
The first school to be recorded in the parish of Haigh was the Haigh Endowed Grammar School, erected about 1634 on the site now occupied by a group of cottages in Haigh Hall grounds, still known as “Old Haigh School”. The original school had been located to serve the people of Haigh, who were mostly tenants of the estates, chiefly engaged in agricultural work and some mining.
By 1846 the population was increasing due to expansion of mining in the Arley, Red Rock, Haigh and Aspull districts, which had shifted the centres of population away from the Park. In 1843 a new building was erected on the present site by Lord Crawford, and it opened as a school in 1846. As the village school it has always been a Christian foundation for the community, known as Haigh School, until its present name St. David CE School was adopted upon its amalgamation with Red Rock CE School.